Books on Eating
There are many wonderful new books and websites to help disregulated eaters and the people who treat them. Although I haven’t read the titles listed below, I recommend them based on what I know about them and their authors. If you’ve read any of them, feel free to comment in the space below this blog and please encourage others to visit these websites and read these books. Look for them at http://www.bulimia.com/.
When I was recovering, I tried to read as much as I could about how to move beyond my eating problems and what I needed to do to recover. An insight here, a new perspective there, it all adds up and moves you forward. And, remember, as each of us recovers, we’re reshaping cultural norms about eating and weight and working toward building a society that has a more natural, saner, comfortable relationship with food.
- JUST TELL HER TO STOP: FAMILIES LIVING WITH AN EATING DISORDER by Becky Henry, CPCC, offers a discreet peek into the lives of over 40 families who are dealing with a loved one’s eating disorder, http://www.justtellhertostop.com/
- THE SELF COMPASSION DIET by Jean Fain (will be in bookstores January 1, 2011. Look for my blog review when it comes out.
- Eating Free website (https://www.eatingfree.com), Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD, CSSD
- www.amindfulway.com A MINDFUL DIET: FOUR WEEKS TO EATING AWARENESS and A MINDFUL WAY: EIGHT WEEKS TO HAPPINESS by Jeanie Seward-Magee http://www.mindfulness-books.com/home/Home.html
- EAT UP THE GOOD LIFE! SAVVY SKILLS FOR PLEASURABLE, GUILT-FREE EATING AND LIVING by Alice Baland is "designed for the 99% of emotional/stress/compulsive/ binge/mindless eaters who are fed up with diet and weight struggles" In mid-October look for the website: www.EatUpTheGoodLife.com and a package that includes the book, an Action Guide and a CD set.
- THE DIET SURVIVORS HANDBOOK: 60 LESSONS IN EATING, ACCEPTANCE AND SELF-CARE by Judith Matz and Ellen Frankel shows how your diet has failed you and provides 60 lessons that will empower you to make peace with food, your body and yourself.
- BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT: THE THERAPISTS’ GUIDE TO TREATING COMPULSIVE EATING by Judith Matz, LCSW is the first comprehensive book for professionals to address the dynamics and treatment of compulsive eating.